Chef Jill returns!
She shared recipes that are perfect for sending with your kids’ lunches, or for preparing at home for home-school moms. Recipes featured on the show: Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup, Quick Pita Pizza, Guilt Free Burrito, Lemon Ice and Dippers w/Special Dipping Sauces. Available for download here.
Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
1 2 ½- to 3-pound chicken, whole
1 chopped white or yellow onion
3 carrots, peeled and sliced into ¼-inch rounds
2 celery stalks, sliced into ¼-inch slices
2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
4 cups water
1 pound egg noodles (or your favorite pasta), cooked according to package directions, then drained, rinsed and chilled.
1. Remove chicken from package. Remove package of innards from inside the chicken and discard. Rinse chicken well inside and out.
2. Place onions, carrots, and celery into slow cooker. Top with prepped chicken.
3. Sprinkle chicken and vegetables with salt, pepper and thyme. Add bay leaf and water . Cover slow cooker and cook on low 8 to 10 hours.
4. Remove chicken from slow cooker and cool slightly. Remove meat from bones and return meat to soup. Discard bones and skin.
5. Add cooked noodles to soup and heat through—about 5 minutes.
In addition, we discussed Chef Jill's work as a coach for the Healthy Schools Campaign Cooking Up Change Competition. This is an exciting opportunity for high school kids to test their culinary creativity among their peers in preparing healthy and tasty new dishes for the school cafeterias city-wide, as well as meet celebrity chefs. Follow their stories at the website: http://www.cookingupchange.org/